When visiting the Fringe, you have to let it wash over you, accepting it for the disorienting wave of human brain-detritus that it is. There is simply too much to take in from all the various hilariants and infinite, unstoppable untertainment.
Such visceral wonders; those unerring wits; and thy hyper-hypheny-pretentious types too – the irredeemables – and my, how they shall pay.
Whatever. This post attempts to capture the Main Protagonist’s 4-day visit at the Festival‘s tail end.
Image man beak has helpfully provided a delicious photographical compilation/complication above, in the form of a tastefully-concocted mashup postcard, although since giving up he personally neglected to join us this time (cheers beak – Ed).
There were allegedly something like 2500 shows on offer throughout August, and whilst it’s a good idea to book some stuff in advance, for some of it you just need to go with the buzz.
Below is a brief run-through from memory of what happened (hover over links to see comments if you like; don’t bother if you can’t be bothered)…
- Long journey up to Edinburgh
- Brit Hot Comedy (Stu Privett, Gary Sansome, Hayley Crossland)
- James Gill (in you come)
- Doctor Brown (what was that?)
- Comedy Manifesto (hosted by Kate Smurthwaite, with various guests partaking. Actually Stu Privett was invited to perform in this three times this year)
- James Loveridge & Other Losers (the “other loser” this time was Luke Capasso)
- Edward Aczel Doesn’t Exist (he does exist; some keen readers may recall our review of Mr Aczel from a little while ago)
- Crap italian meal (don’t eat at the shit restaurants in Grassmarket. It’s a tourist trap and it all seems so damn obvious in hindsight)
- A “Best of the Fest show” (MC: Shappi Khorsandi, with Todd Barry, Nina Conti and Tony Law)
- Questionable and pseudonaked Seth Ifrican busker (he was neither naked nor a busker)
- Nick Sun (most exciting comedian this writer has seen for yonks)
- Curry and catchup with mates
- Long journey down from Edinburgh
- More kips
- Write painfully-constructed nonsense in a blog post